Finally started the sweater for my son, and so far, it’s going pretty well. [Minus one error yours truly does not feel like frogging back for since it’s minor. No one will notice if I don’t point it out anyway.]
Working with the lovely hand-painted merino wool (from http://dreamincoloryarn.com/
) my MIL bought me for my birthday. I have to say, I’m so fond of it, I might have to buy some more for a project for myself down the line. The colorway is gorgeous, the wool is soft and it’s been pretty easy to work with. Looking at the website for the first time tonight, there were several colors I fell in love with. And price wise, it’s not terrible.
Front shaping with the sleeves already divided out for. First try on to see if it fits.
After a couple of tries and having to frog, I finally managed to get my gauge correct so I could actually knit this. Suppose one of these days, I should learn to get off my butt and do a swatch–but what fun is that? I had to go up two needle sizes in order to get the correct gauge. Now that I have my needle sizes, I have a couple of pairs of DPNs on their way from http://knitpicks.com/ so that I can finish up the sleeves and the hood when the time comes. I ordered one of them as nickel-plated and one as the laminated wood to see if I have a preference.
Back shaping: very pleased with how nice and even it’s turning out.
For a first sweater, I don’t think I’m doing too bad. This project has given me enough confidence and knowledge that I’m ready to tackle one for my hubby when I’m done. Very very pleased with this.
Not an actual knit project, but for knitting purposes none-the-less. SnB contained this pattern which I modified to include a second set of pockets for my DPNs–when I finally get around to purchasing some, that is. I don’t own much in the way of knitting needles just yet, so my case is rather empty. But I’m sure that will change as time goes by!
Overall, this project took about five to six hours, considerably less them then I thought it would. Though I’ll admit, I thought I was going to lose my mind drawing all those seperate lines and then having to stitch them all. I was nervous starting this since I haven’t actually sewn in some time, but I think it turned out well! I do prefer knitting to sewing at this point in time, however.
A view of the inside as well. Roll was made entirely of fabrics from my pre-existing quilting stash–just glad they could be used finally and not sit in that tote any longer! I’ve had a hard time trying to use my L.B. prints, nothing ever seems special enough for them. Until now, that is. Considering I didn’t have to buy any outside materials to make this, I feel it’s very nicely color-coordinated and looks like I intentionally picked fabrics out!