Of pattern changes and dinosaurs

Oh no, there goes Tokyo! Go go Godzilla!

Pattern: Jellybean Dinosaur (Ravel it)
Yarn: Yarn Love Anne Shirley- Ancient Forest & Sparkling Pool
Needles: US size 8

This is pretty much a new pattern, maybe a month old. (Free too!) There is a part of me that loves finding it before it’s had a chance to go viral or have many projects before mine. I have these delusions that someday I’ll make That Project. You know the one; the one that everyone on Ravelry sees and exclaims how it’s made them see the pattern in a new light and they will now make it. Perhaps it’s time to talk to someone about my ego. Ahem.

This was very quick and easy. So much so that I’m working on a second one for The Boy in a larger size. You may have noticed it in yesterday’s WIP post and wondered what the bowling pin looking thing is. It’s a dino body. (Admittedly, The Boy’s color choice for the tummy and scales makes me cringe a little, but it’s for him, not me. And he can’t be totally blamed for it: he tried to snake several of my fairy farts yarns for those parts, including some Wollmeise. Had they been remnants from a project, they would have been his. But as it were, they were virgin skeins so I told him to keep his little mitts off. Boy has good taste, though. )

I noticed a very minor error in the instructions, but it would be easy enough for anyone to figure out and know to change it, I think. In the instructions for the spines, row 5 reads, “5,” when it should read, “k,” for knit the row. Very minor.

I did make changes to the pattern. The entire thing is written to be knit flat. A lot of seaming. I converted all pieces, minus the legs and spines, to be knit in the round. It worked just fine and left a nice, neat guide for sewing the spines onto the back. The instructions for the face call for embroidering the whole thing, but I prefer the look and ease of safety eyes. So, I stuffed the head, placed the eyes in, and then gently removed the stuffing so I could snap the washers onto the eyes. Then while the face was still waiting to be re-stuffed, I figured out where I wanted the mouth to go. I did a straight line and then made it dip in the middle using an embroidery stitch I can not recall the name of–it’s that one used to make flower petals and such. Then, I went back and back stitched over the mouth a second time to make sure it was nice and secure. My kids love to pull on threads and mess them up otherwise. The final change I made was to the tummy panel. In the pattern, the decreases are both written at K2tog; instead, I did mirrored decreases with a SSK. Minor, but I think it made a difference.

And that’s it: my FO post for the month. Be seeing you all in blogland or on Ravelry!

FO Catch Up

Two posts in one day! Hoo hoo. Today’s second post is a mini FO Catch Up: the toy edition. (I have a bunch of sweaters to photograph and blog, but you’ll have to forgive me for not doing so. It’s been hitting 100ยบ and no one wants to wear a sweater in that, no matter how lovely it is. Be expecting an, “Oh my gawd, here is 6 months worth of sweaters!!one!!bbq” post in the future. You have been warned.)


Pattern
: Daphne and Delilah the Momma and Baby monster (Ravel it)
Needles: US size 8
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease – Sea spray and Lime

This was a super easy and fast knit that I pulled out at the last minute for The Boy, who turned 4 a couple of weeks ago. I see a lot of possibilities with this pattern as a base. The technique could easily be altered to yield differently shaped monsters.

In fact…it’s almost the same technique used for my next FO, just with different head shaping.

Pattern: Wasabi the Gregarious Pug (Ravel it)
Needles: US size 8
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton

Again, super easy to follow and quick knit. I wish I were a bit better at getting features attached evenly, but I think he turned out all right. He’ll be going to his new home in a couple of weeks. Yay for babies!

May wrap up


Yardage Totals 2010

January: 1884 yds
February: 2850 yds
March: 2893 yds
April: 777 yds
May: 856 yds

Year to date: 9260 yds or 5.26 miles

So May’s yardage was not too much better then April’s. I’ve been feeling more “into” my knitting, but since most of what I’m working on is socks, the yardage isn’t exactly impressive. Regardless, I’m still averaging just over a mile month being knit.

In June, I plan to focus on finishing up what few WIPs I have the first half of the month. Once we move in two weeks, I’m not sure what I’ll be working on yet. I’m still contemplating car/travel friendly projects.